How does one whistleblower on the company they work for?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Anaheim, CA

I work for a company that seems to be doing many illegal things. The first being if you work overtime they do not pay you for it. I have been told that you must clock out because they don't pay for it. But they expect you to keep working while not being clocked in. Furthermore they might be defrauding customs as well when shipping products. They give 50% invoices to the customers so they don't not have to pay as much customs fees. Also the working environment is stressful to say the least. I recently brought up an office issue with HR and they told me it was my problem not theirs. Many of the employees are in danger as well. They are forced to work under rafters with product above them that is not strapped down. Often their desks are hit by forklifts.

Additional information

These are just to name a few things. I have everything documented with emails and pictures. How do I proceed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Craig Trent Byrnes


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm not really sure what you're asking here. Are you asking how to bring about change with the employer?

    One possibility is to bring these issues to your employer's attention in writing. Another possibility is to bring these issues to the attention of a government agency. In the case of the failure to pay overtime, the right agency would be the Department of Industrial Relations: In the case of the failure to pay customs fees, the right agency would be US Customs & Border Protection: In the case of the unsafe working conditions, the right agency would be Cal-OSHA:

    Understand that, if you complain to your employer or you complain to a government agency and your employer finds out about it, you could very well be fired. It would be illegal to fire you if your complaints are reasonably based, but if employers didn't do illegal things all the time, I'd be out of work. My guess is that you'd rather have a job than a lawsuit. So consider carefully whether this is a pool you want to wade into, or whether you'd rather just quietly find another job and get yourself out of there. I'm not telling you which is a better option; that's a personal decision, not a legal one. Just understand what the consequences of each choice are.

    Good luck with your legal issues.

    Craig T. Byrnes

    Disclaimer: Please be aware that I am not offering legal advice, nor forming an attorney-client relationship with... more
  2. Margaret E Hughes

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . California Labor Code Section 1102.5 makes it illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for refusing to participate in any activity that would result in a violation of state or federal statute, or a violation or noncompliance. It protects employees against retaliation for internal whistle blowing as well as for reporting to the government or an outside agency. That said, my colleague is on point that you will want to consider whether you want to take on the fight. The legal process can be long and arduous and requires a great deal of fortitude. However, if you really believe your employer is acting contrary to the law, you may find it rewarding to take them on. Be sure you have your facts straight, and even before any reporting, it is advisable to discuss your specific situation with an employment law attorney.
    Good Luck

    No Attorney-Client Relationship The use of this website and/or any information contained herein shall not... more

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Employee rights

Employee rights in the United States include receiving legal and agreed-upon wages, working in physically safe conditions, and being free from harassment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,509 answers this week

3,422 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,509 answers this week

3,422 attorneys answering