How does one get deferred adjudication for a Class C misdemeanor other than a traffic ticket?

Asked 8 months ago - Fort Worth, TX

I got a disorderly conduct citation yesterday from the city of fort worth. I am trying to understand what all this means, but the internet is offering conflicting information. I know that people get deferred adjudication for all sorts of thing, but the Fort Worth court website is saying that I "may not" be eligible because my citation is for "other than a traffic ticket." I want to be able to get this expunged, so I'm trying to make sure I do this right. This is the first time I've had to deal with the law at all, so I am really lost about all of this :(

1. Raymond Ellis Daniel

1

Answered . If the information that you obtained from the internet isn't enough perhaps it's time to hire a lawyer.

2. Seth Philip Topek

Answered . If that is what it says online it may just mean that it can not be done over the phone or online. "May not" usually means that there is discretion involved not that it is necessarily impossible. I do not practice in Fort Worth so I am not sure what the court's specific policies are. I would recommend calling and hiring a local attorney who practices in the Fort Worth Municipal Courts to defend you.

3. Herman Martinez

Pro

Answered . You need to contact a lawyer that specializes in the area of the law, in that jurisdiction. Most crimes in Texas are eligible for deferred adjudication.