How does my DUI affect my Green Card petition

Lake Orion, MI |

I had a DUI in '09. I went for my immigration interview yesterday. the immigration officer stated that i should expect my card or a letter for more information in 14days pending a background check. I gave them the disposition from the court. Is this a good sign or not? I thought they'd have done these background checks already

You should be fine if it was a simple DUI but if you get anything but an approval not hire an attorney.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations. www.jrandolphlaw.com

The interviewer may need a supervisor to review the application simply because you have a conviction. While a DUI conviction is not typically a deportable offense, your application could be denied as a matter of discretion because of the DUI.

Right now you should not worry. Be patient for a few weeks.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

You should indeed seek local counsel. I agree with my colleagues.

If it is a single, straightforward DUI, you should be fine. If your application is not approved or they request additional information, it would be wise to speak with a local immigration attorney with experience with your local USCIS District Office.

Recommended articles about Immigration