How does leaving a credit card (with a zero balance) out of the bankruptcy affect your credit?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pasadena, CA

I'm a full-time college student & I'm a joint account holder on my dad's credit card. He's going to file ch 7.

We have a zero balance on the card & therefore he's not required to list the card with his other debts.

But I know most creditors usually close down joint credit card accounts after a co-borrower files bk, especially when one or both borrowers have minimal income. In other words, he doesn't look very creditworthy right now & I'm a student.

They also say it looks very bad on your credit report to have an account that was closed by the creditor. This has me wondering if it'd be best for us to close down the account ourselves before the creditor does.

What would be worse to have on my credit report: An account I closed myself or an account that the creditor closed on me?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . The adverse impact of closing the account by the creditor compared to closing the account by the account holder in your situation could be the same. Generally speaking, the closing of your account reduces your overall available open credit line, which is why it usually reduces your credit score. I'd recommend that you don't close the account yourself.

2. Donald A Green

2

Answered . I would also suggest keeping the account open

3. Rachel Lea Hunter

2

Answered . Do you have any other available credit in just your name? The reason is - if you had a line of credit and you closed it, that means that line of credit is no longer available to you. Also, are you actually a joint borrower? Or just an authorized user?

If you are a joint borrower, then it might make more sense to get your dad's name off of the card and keep the line of credit/credit card in your name alone. Use it every other month to buy a tank of gas or buy groceries and then pay the bill in full when it comes. This will help you keep your credit score up.

If you have other lines of credit, then its probably ok to close this account. While your credit will take a small hint, it will improve.

I don't know who is "they" or where you are getting your information from.

For information about your credit report and score, try www,myfico.com.