How does it work when you have 2 executors of a will..

Asked about 5 years ago - Tifton, GA

I will have power of attorney when the times comes...hopefully many years away...but I don't understand how 2 executors work....what happens if they can not agree....

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . I don't understand your question. Try posting again. Powers of attorney have nothing to do with wills, as they expire when the Grantor dies.

It is almost always a bad idea to have joint executors in a will.

But again, I don;t understand your question, so please post again.

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . When two executors are named, the will should provide some form of tie-breaker system. Absent that many states have rules that require unanimous agreement on all actions. If executors become deadlocked, then they may have to petition a probate court to resolve the deadlock.

Hope this helps.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.