How does homstead work and is it legal?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Chico, CA

my friend has found a home that she says been vacant for many yrs. very odd was built in 2006. acacia rd. in oroville califoronia very nice home and neighborhoood. she has obtained information from online and moved in planned to pay the back taxes but today was kicked out by the town police..what can she do. what is her legal right?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeannette Charlotte Christine Darrow

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You left out a very important piece of information - whether your friend paid any money for the house.

    Based on your question, it sounds like your friend found a vacant home, moved in without asking or telling anybody, and planned to pay the back taxes, expecting that she would then own the house. Maybe I've misread the question, but if not, your friend has no legal rights, as she would be considered a squatter or trespasser.

    Feel free to add more information if the circumstances are different than I've interpreted your question, and maybe the answer will change.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like your friend was trying to acquire title to the house by "adverse possession". However, she had no legal right to be living in the house, so she could be lawfully kicked out as a trespasser or squatter. She has no legal right.

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California only. The information presented here is... more
  3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She has no legal rights unless she purchased the property from the legal title holder.

Related Topics

Criminal tresspass

Criminal trespass is when you enter someone's property without authorization, either at a prohibited time or onto property you are not allowed to enter at all.

Mark David Brynteson

Understanding Slip & Fall Cases

The Law Is About People Mark D. Brynteson Attorney at Law 2969 Rolling Meadow Court Belvidere, Illinois 61008 (o) 815-569-4280 (f) 815-371-0146 web site: more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,840 answers this week

2,569 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,840 answers this week

2,569 attorneys answering