How does Green Card application Denial affects F-1 Visa OPT application and future green card application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Durham, NC

I am a graduate student holding F-1 Visa. My husband works for a University and by their support, we were applying for green cards (Basically, I was getting one, because I am married to my husband.) My status is at RFE (485). Unfortunately, my husband and I are going through a divorce. He is not letting me know what documents that I need to send to resolve RFE. My guess it will result in DENIAL.

1. In this case, what happens to my current F-1 Visa status (Stamp valid though 2014 summer, I-20 says through 2016 summer).
2. Can I get a new visa stamp?
3. Can I apply for OPT after my defense - when I complete my study?
4. Can I apply for green card again? Will there be any disadvantage?
5. Can I somehow withdraw green card application at this point?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . 1, 2, 3. Depends on whether you have continued to maintain F-1 status.
    4. If you have a means to do so, yes.
    5. Yes.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

2. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

1

Answered . To be in F-1 status you are required to have non immigrant (temporary) intent. In order to apply for adjustment you must have immigrant (permanent) intent. CIS may consider you no longer in student status when you applied for adjustment. You will need to convince CIS of your non immigrant intent and maintain a full course of study.

The US consulate will also need to be convinced of your non immigrant intent (as well as many other factors) before they grant another F visa.

If you are in lawful student status you may receive OPT.

You may apply for resident status again unless CIS determines that you entered into the marriage for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. See INA 204(c).

You may withdraw the adjustment application. Withdrawal is not likely to have any impact other than as a denial.

919.225.3963
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brownimmigrationNC.com

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . 1) If you are otherwise maintaining it despite the I-485 filing, you may want to continue to do so
    2) Depends what visa you will seek
    3) As long as you continue to maintain status, you may be eligible for OPT
    4) Yes
    5) you can withdraw and it will be denied if you divorce before the decision is made. Having said that errors happen all the time.