How does deferred judification work?

Corpus Christi, TX |

I received a ticket for not signaling when turning. Someone told me that when you do deferred judification, you only pay court costs, not the actual cost of the ticket. Is this correct?

1. Well, that is really a play on words. Because deferred adjudication is not a conviction they cannot give you a "fine". However, they can and do charge you a deferred fee that usually is the same or very similar in amount to the fine that would have been charged had you pled guilty and been convicted. With a class C moving violation, a deferred adjudication disposition means that a conviction does not go to Austin to be placed on your driving record.

2. You will pay court costs and whatever other fee they charge for the privilege of receiving a deferred. The good news is that you will not be convicted of the offense and it will not be reported to DPS.