How does custody work?

Asked 9 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

My child's father and I are no longer together. We were never married or anything like that. He does not want to work and continues to ask me to bring him my twin daughters. I told him he can visit them in my house. He does not want to but is telling people that I am keeping the girls away from him. He has his family and friends calling and texting my phone so i changed my phone number. He keeps threatening me that he is going to take me to court. He has no job, is on probabtion. the house he lives in with his parents is not a good environment for any child to be in, will the courts allow my daughters to be in that environment?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult a family lawyer. You can start a custody action to have the court determine what schedule would be in the best interest. There are many factors the court will consider when determining where father can exercise his custody. The age of the children, father's past behaviors around the children and the condition and safety and cleanliness to the home where the children will spending time with father will all be considered by the court in determining an appropriate custody schedule for father.

  2. Answered . At this point, without a Court Order, you and the father are on equal footing. If you allow him to take the children he is not required to return them unless you take him to Court. Continue to insist that he only visit with the children in your presence until one of you files for custody. Once you have a Court Order, you will not need to restrict his access to the children. One of you should file a Custody Complaint in the County in which you reside with the children.

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,484 answers this week

3,698 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,484 answers this week

3,698 attorneys answering