How does child support work?

Panama City, FL |

When both parents combine there net income together, do they split that amount on the child support guidelines chart? Can my financial responsibilities at my home be consider along with 2 other children? I need to know florida laws on child support and how to lower it because I'm having hard times

1. I have attached links to both the Florida Child Support Guidelines statute, as well as a child support calculator.

I would recommend you consult and retain an attorney to represent you if you do not have a firm understanding of what pleadings you need to draft or how to draft them.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

2. If you download the child support guidelines worksheet it tells you exactly how to calculate child support. Be warned, it is still not a model of clarity. I'm not sure what you mean by your "financial responsibilities at home" but the worksheet uses primarily your net incomes with adjustments made for different time-sharing scenarios, health insurance coverage, etc.

Knowing the laws on child support will not lower your obligation. It is expensive for everyone that does to pay for it. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

3. The Court will arrive at a child support amount by taking both parties' net income to determine on the child support guidelines what figure is used to determine their monthly responsibility . If you are asking will the Court consider your expenses at home in determining child support, the answer is no. Anyone can create bills and live beyond their means. Good luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Child support topics