How does child support work?

When both parents combine there net income together, do they split that amount on the child support guidelines chart? Can my financial responsibilities at my home be consider along with 2 other children? I need to know florida laws on child support and how to lower it because I'm having hard times

Panama City, FL -

William Charles Rosenfelt

William Charles Rosenfelt

Child Support Lawyer - Longwood, FL

If you download the child support guidelines worksheet it tells you exactly how to calculate child support. Be warned, it is still not a model of clarity. I'm not sure what you mean by your "financial responsibilities at home" but the worksheet uses primarily your net incomes with adjustments made for different time-sharing scenarios, health insurance coverage, etc.

Knowing the laws on child support will not lower your obligation. It is expensive for everyone that does to pay for it. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Betty Elaine Jones

Betty Elaine Jones

Family Law Attorney - Brandon, FL

The Court will arrive at a child support amount by taking both parties' net income to determine on the child support guidelines what figure is used to determine their monthly responsibility . If you are asking will the Court consider your expenses at home in determining child support, the answer is no. Anyone can create bills and live beyond their means. Good luck.

Sincerely,
B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Child Support Lawyer - Orlando, FL

I have attached links to both the Florida Child Support Guidelines statute, as well as a child support calculator.

I would recommend you consult and retain an attorney to represent you if you do not have a firm understanding of what pleadings you need to draft or how to draft them.

Related Advice