How does child support affect a new spouse?

San Diego, CA |

I currently pay child support. If I get married in the future, will my spouse be obligated or affected in any way by my child support?

1. Probably not, IF you're employed, and IF you pay your support in full and on time. Your new spouse's INCOME does not figure into a child support calculation for your child(ren) of an earlier relationship, except to the extent it changes your tax bracket if you file jointly, or to the extent you quit your job and your new spouse supports you.

If you open a joint account with your new spouse, or buy property together, and get behind on your child support, the child support could be garnished from the joint account, or a lien could be placed on the property.

Pay your support on time, in full, and keep clear and complete records of how much you paid and when you paid it.