Skip to main content

How does an inmate file a police brutality complaint?

San Bruno, CA |

My son was beaten, then arrested, he was taken to the hospital , then
jailed. He has not had any treatment for his injuries, it's been 5 days. I
cannot afford an atty and cannot get any info on how to proceed with a

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


He can request a complaint form and make a claim against the police. He has only six months to file for his state claims. He can mail it from jail.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456



Thank You! The jail has these forms?



It's our County jail btw


If your son wants to file a claim, against the San Bruno Police Department (assuming that he was beaten by San Bruno police officers), for police brutality, then you must file a claim, with the City of San Bruno, within six (6) months of the date of the assault. If your son wants to file a complaint, against the San Mateo County Jail (assuming that this is where he is being housed), for denial of medical attention, then he needs to, first, file a grievance, with the county jail. Furthermore, with regard to the police brutality claim, you really should consider contacting a local civil rights attorney, since most civil rights lawyers handle police misconduct cases on contingency (i.e., you don't have to pay them upfront for their services).

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer