How does an EB5 green card work?

Asked about 3 years ago - New York, NY

Do I need to invest the $500k or $1 million from the start or can I invest $200k and show how I plan on investing the remainder? I plan on investing over a million but don't plan on doing it as an initial 1 million for business reasons. Can I invest the $200k and put the remainder in an escrow as a showing of good faith?

1. Elizabeth Rose Blandon

Pro

1

Answered . The full amount does not have to be invested prior to applying for residency. However, investor-based residency is a complicated case and retaining an immigration attorney is a necessity.

A foreign national cannot just SAY that they will invest more as some undetermined time later. That is insufficient and the case will be denied.

2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

Answered . For EB-5 purposes, it is not necessary that you immediately invest the threshold amount. However, there are many issues that one should consider when investing with immigration considerations in mind (e.g. job creation requirements). Click on the links below for more information on immigration related investing. I strongly suggest that you consult with an attorney experienced with EB-5 issues in order to avoid making a costly mistake.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . EB5 cases are extremely complicated. You need to retain an experienced immigration attorney to review all the facts, advise you, and file the case.