How does alimony work, and what is my wife entitled to in a divorce?

Asked almost 6 years ago - Warren, MI

I have been married for a number of years. My wife has an ailment, and hasn't worked for years. Her ailment makes it impossible for her to work.
In a divorce, what can I generally expect to happen to our property- how
will it be divided? She has No retirement money of her own. Do I pay alimony for the rest of my life?

1. Kenneth V. Zichi

1

5

Answered . There is no one 'right' answer here -- it will depend on the length of the marriage, the disparity of incomes, the number of children both now and during the term of the marriage, as well as intangible items such as the health of the parties.

The situation you present here implies an award of permanent alimony, which would normally imply payment of alimony until retirement when the pension would cut in with payments to her and you under a QDRO. Property division of not only the tangible assets but intangibles like your pension earned during the marriage would all be subject to division by the Court.

It is important you get advice from a local lawyer familiar not only with the alimony guidelines but also the way your domestic judges treat such situations, but the short answer is you probably will be need to pay alimony -- the questions are how much and how long.