Skip to main content

How does alimony affect child support? when alimony is over will child support increase?

Tavares, FL |

I plan to pursue child support and alimony in my divorce settlement with my wife. currently she makes about 51,000 annually to my 22,000. he said alimony will affect the child support payment and it would only be temporary (about 3 years) because we were only married 9 years. when calculating the initial child support I know u claim alimony as income. however in three years when alimony is ended will my lower child support payment stay the same or will it increase?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


They are separate. It can affect child support in that they can only take so much money from you, they have to leave a certain amount for you to live on. That should not change the child support absent an action for modification and a new order. The other difference between alimony and child support is the tax treatment. Child support is not treated as income to the recipient and is therefore not deductible to you, and alimony is considered income to the recipient and may be deductible to you. There are permutations, so check with your tax lawyer or CPA. Those considerations may also affect determinations of who claims the child(ren) as dependents and when. Because if that is not set forth specifically in the divorce judgment, then it is governed by tax law.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


You being the person paying - in this case not actually you.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


Also, tax law, I believe, says that the person making more money gets to declare the children if it is not specified, so you need to take that into consideration in your negotiations.


This is a Duplicate Post. See previous answers.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


I believe this is a duplicate post.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Lots of duplicates today....

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer