How does alimony affect child support? when alimony is over will child support increase?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tavares, FL

I plan to pursue child support and alimony in my divorce settlement with my wife. currently she makes about 51,000 annually to my 22,000. he said alimony will affect the child support payment and it would only be temporary (about 3 years) because we were only married 9 years. when calculating the initial child support I know u claim alimony as income. however in three years when alimony is ended will my lower child support payment stay the same or will it increase?

1. Heather Morcroft

6

Answered . They are separate. It can affect child support in that they can only take so much money from you, they have to leave a certain amount for you to live on. That should not change the child support absent an action for modification and a new order. The other difference between alimony and child support is the tax treatment. Child support is not treated as income to the recipient and is therefore not deductible to you, and alimony is considered income to the recipient and may be deductible to you. There are permutations, so check with your tax lawyer or CPA. Those considerations may also affect determinations of who claims the child(ren) as dependents and when. Because if that is not set forth specifically in the divorce judgment, then it is governed by tax law.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. William Charles Rosenfelt

6

Answered . Lots of duplicates today....

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

5

Answered . I believe this is a duplicate post.

4. Carin Manders Constantine

4

Answered . This is a Duplicate Post. See previous answers.