Skip to main content

How does advance parole work? If I have advance parole can I go out of the country and come back to the US without a visa?

Grand Rapids, MI |

I have an advance parole permit that is good until Jan 2014. I plan to leave the country next week and come back at the end of September. I am just going to visit relatives. I recently graduated and do not have a job currently but am in search of one. my advance parole is based on immediate family application and i-485.
is there anything i should be concerned with when i come back?

Attorney Answers 3


I suggest that you meet with an immigration attorney BEFORE you leave the US, just to be sure that you don't have any issues that might lead to you having problems upon your return to the US.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Yes, it is OK for travel INTO the US ... depending on any country that you go through, you may need a visa for that country.

CONCERN? You should be concerned about the fact that the interviews are scheduled about 8-12 months after you file. Thus, they may call you in for an interview in September ... you do NOT want to ask for it to be rescheduled.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Don't use it unless you were in status when you applied for it.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



what do you mean by out of status? I applied for it when i was on a student visa. I have now graduated college but always entered and remained in the US legally.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics