How does a US citizen bring a Chinese national to the US for marriage and work?

Asked about 2 months ago - Redmond, WA

I'm a US citizen considering marrying a Chinese national who is in China. What would be the best steps for bringing her and her son to the US for marriage and work? For example, would she travel to the US on a visiting visa, get married, than change her status? What about work? When would she be eligible to work? How long does this take? How much does it cost? Does it require a lawyer or can it be done pre se? Thanks.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . The fastest way of bringing her and her (hopefully) minor son would be by filing a fiancee visa petition for her and son, but to be able to do that you must have physically met in person during the last 2 years.

As my esteemed colleague states, the chances of her being able to obtain a tourist visa are less than zero.

As for the rest, schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You file a fiancee visa. But, you two must have met in person within the past 2 years.

No, the chances of her getting a tourist visa to come to the US are close to zero ... don't waste your time.

Talk to an attorney, many of us use Skype to do a 3-way video for this type of consultation.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I tend to support by both very respected and learned colleagues in the opinion that such case calls for a filing for a K-1 fiancée visa to be used for marriage within 90 days upon approval, provided it was granted. That would be essentially the most legally appropriate way, without clashing with a dual preconceived immigration intent if one attempts a tourist B-2 visa for that prospective foreign national wife.