Skip to main content

How does a summary judgment affect your case other than you are asking a judge to decide without a trial/?and can this be rever

Mineola, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

sed or changed?for example i said i wanted it because i thought it meant something else. i am pro se plaingtiff and i just said i wanted it in response to defendants motion to dismiss

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You requested a summary judgment without knowing what it was? I hope the case you are litigating is if no financial or personal consequence to you because you may be blowing the one shot you get.

    If this case is important, hire a lawyer immediately, you are in way over your head.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  2. If the defendant wins summary judgment the case is over.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. If you win summary judgment on some issues but not others, those remaining issues will go to trial if the case goes that far. I agree with Mr. Rafter, though. Call an attorney to discuss.

    If defendant wins summary judgment, the case ends, but you have some options to renew, reargue, or appeal. Either way, you should speak to a local attorney.

    The author of this posting is a lawyer licensed to practice law in the State of New York. He specializes in litigation matters relating to personal injury, construction accidents, auto accidents, slip and fall, dog bite, contract litigation, property litigation, civil rights, ERISA, and Social Security matters in federal, state and local courts, with a focus on courts in Staten Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. This posting is intended as general information only, is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics