How does a refugee travel back to the country(for 1 month) where he is from ?

Baltimore, MD |

I am a refugee from Burma and if there was an emergency situation going on with my parents in Burma, how do i travel from US to Burma for a month and then back to US? If i have a green card would that make it easier ? Please let me know the detail how to do it . Thank you

Sorry to hear about the emergency with your parents. There is no easy way to return. If you travel to the country from which you are a refugee, there could be a presumption that you obtained your status fraudulently OR that you no longer face persecution there. If it is a true emergency and you are going to go no matter what, make sure to have proof of what that emergency was and to be able to explain how you were able to maintain your safety while there. Hopefully, the trip will not be a long one.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Will refugee travel document be helpful ?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Since you are a refugee you should travel on that document. But that does not change my analysis above.

Burma seems alot different than when i leave the country , it improving, its developing into a better country, and i dont want any change made to my status in US during my travel. How does refugee travel document works ?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

A refugee travel document is used to take the place of your national passport since, presumably, the country that persecuted you will not cooperate and give you a passport.

How long ( at most ) do you think i should travel ?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

How long can you go and still convince immigration that it is dangerous for you to be over there?

By creating a lot of problems during reentry to him or herself.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

I am sorry , i dont know what you mean by creating problems during reentry ?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You are not allowed to travel to your country of origin as a person who was granted asylum to the country from which you fled. You do it and your status will be revoked.

Thank you for your answer

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Please mark my answer as best. Thank you

Detail - do not travel. Soory

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Sorry

Are you suggesting that i should wait till my citizenship ?

and thank you for your honest answer

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

yes. Good luck

Recommended articles about Immigration