How does a plaintiff obtain adjournment for reply to cross-motion?

New York, NY |

Whom should the plaintiff ask for the adjournment from, the defendant, or the judge, or both? When should the plaintiff ask for adjourment, at the return date in court, or before the return date? Defendant filed cross-motion 7 days (not including return date) before the return date.

1. It is preferable to get the other side to sign a stipulation that you then bring to court. If they won't you ask the court.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. See response to other question you asked. As for requesting adjournment - ask the opposing counsel/party if they will consent to adjournment, then contact the judge's chamber noting that the opposing party consents. Do so as far in advance of the appearance date as possible.