Skip to main content

How does a petty thieft looks on a college student that has one more year left what can I do to clear my name?

Daytona Beach, FL |

I am 21 and this is my frist time being proscuted fro petty thieft, I have no criminal record and this is my first offense. I was never arrested and taken to jail for the crime nor was i fingerprinted.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It does not look good - but a good local criminal attorney should be able to be of great assistance to you in this matter. Since it is a first offense & depending on the facts & amount of money involved you have a lot going for you. Different state jurisdictions have programs such a diversion or delayed prosecution etc etc - but DO NOT attempt to handle this yourself. Immediately consult with a local FL criminal attorney - many offer free initial consultations. Do not post any additional facts on this or other public forums, it can be used against you. Take advanntage of the free consultations. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


I believe I answered your question a earlier today. Having anything on your record doesn't look good but doesn't mean it's the end of the world. You want to avoid a conviction which with the help of a good attorney has the best odd of happening.

David R. Damore, Esq., Damore, Delgado, Romanik & Rawlins, Daytona Beach, FL, (386) 255-1400. Mr. Damore is a former Volusia and Broward County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.


You must avoid a conviction so you can seal or expunge your charge and get it off your record.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


As a 1st-time offender, you should be eligible for a deferred prosecution agreement, which will result in the dismissal of the charges against you & which will permit you to petition the court to have your case expunged. If you're case is already in that posture, make sure you take full advantage of your opportunity when the case is dismissed & have your record expunged. If you need assistance, Mr. Damore is a very reputable lawyer in Volusia County & can assist you, as can I.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore


Thank you , your comments were very kind and appreciated.


You should be offered a deferred prosecution agreement. Basically, if you're a good boy/good girl for a few months and do a few community service hours, they'll drop the charge.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer