How does a parent voluntarily sign over his parental rights in TN

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cookeville, TN

My ex is willing to sign over his rights, his name is not on the birth certificate so there is no paternity established and he technically has no rights as of now but state is going to go after him for child support and he will be able to get rights. He has agreed to voluntarily sign over his rights to my boyfriend. How do you go about voluntarily signing over your parental rights for a nonmarital child in Cookeville, TN. Also, does paternity have to be established before rights can be signed over. I looked it up and it said they sign a written notarized statement, if this is so, where do i get such a paper and where do i bring it after

1. Nathan Zale Dowlen

3

Answered . He could do a "surrender" or a "waiver of interest" but you are getting a little ahead of yourself. He cannot sign rights over to a "boyfriend". It would have to be a step parent. So, if you are serious about your family, get married, then have this conversation with your child's father and your new husband. Paternity would not necessarily have to be established.