HOW DOES A LANDLORD FIGHT EMINENT DOMAIN OR CONDEMNED PROPERTY

Mount Vernon, NY -

Robert A. Stumpf

Robert A. Stumpf

Bankruptcy Attorney - Staten Island, NY

With a lawyer! Its not a do it yourself project.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

With a real estate lawyer who specializes in it. I suspect that are not many lawyers who know this area of the law well. This is not something to do on your own.

Anthony F Della Pelle

Anthony F Della Pelle

Real Estate Attorney - Morristown, NJ

The answer to your question may differ depending upon the State where you live and what type of government agency or utility company is exercising eminent domain. However, every exercise of eminent domain requires that the condemning authority (1) have a valid public purpose which will be served by the taking and (2) pay "just compensation" for the taking which will indemnify the owner for its loss. So "fighting" eminent domain can involve a challenge to either the government's right to utilize eminent domain OR a challenge to the compensation offered.
I would strongly recommend that you hire an experienced eminent domain attorney to assist you - there are special rules and laws that apply to eminent domain cases and it is critical that your lawyer be familiar with them in order to assure that your constitutional property rights are not violated. I would be happy to recommend one to you in your State upon your request.

Related Advice