Asked over 2 years ago - Mount Vernon, NY


Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . With a lawyer! Its not a do it yourself project.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . With a real estate lawyer who specializes in it. I suspect that are not many lawyers who know this area of the law well. This is not something to do on your own.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  3. Answered . The answer to your question may differ depending upon the State where you live and what type of government agency or utility company is exercising eminent domain. However, every exercise of eminent domain requires that the condemning authority (1) have a valid public purpose which will be served by the taking and (2) pay "just compensation" for the taking which will indemnify the owner for its loss. So "fighting" eminent domain can involve a challenge to either the government's right to utilize eminent domain OR a challenge to the compensation offered.
    I would strongly recommend that you hire an experienced eminent domain attorney to assist you - there are special rules and laws that apply to eminent domain cases and it is critical that your lawyer be familiar with them in order to assure that your constitutional property rights are not violated. I would be happy to recommend one to you in your State upon your request.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more

Related Topics

Condemned house

A condemned house is one that does not meet building codes, and is in such poor shape that nobody can legally live in it unless and until it is repaired.

Eminent domain and land use law

Eminent domain is the right of governments to take privately owned property for public use, without the owner's consent, but after paying “just compensation”.

Bradford Beau Kuhn

California Eminent Domain Guide

The Basics Eminent domain is the power of the government to take or condemn property for "public use," without the land owner's consent, upon paying just compensation. The "government"... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,688 answers this week

3,935 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,688 answers this week

3,935 attorneys answering