How does a judge decide on what school a child will go to if both parent's cannot agree on a school?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

Mom wants child to go to school across the street from her home 59ft away..while father is 23.6 miles away (just one way) ,round-trip is 47.2. Father wants to pick a school half way between both parents.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jessica M Cotter


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to look at your Decree of dissolution first and see how theses issue are suppose to be resolved when you can not agree. You need to follow the decree if it has a method to solve this issue. If it is still not resolved it then you can go to the judge. It depends on the judge how they handle the issue. Some will make the decision based on the best interest of the child and other's will give the power to one of the parents to make the decisions. You need to start the process now if you need the court to intervene because the courts calenders fill up far in advance. I would contact an attorney in your area and bring the decree with.

  2. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your Decree specifies that the matter be addressed by a mediator, then the mediator will decide, weighing all criteria. The best interest of the child is always the basis for a decision.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . ... by applying a best interest of the child standard to the question.

Related Topics

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,532 answers this week

3,586 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,532 answers this week

3,586 attorneys answering