How does a credit card company verify the information provided on your application?

Moline, IL |

My ex husband opened a credit card in my name without my authorization or content, making me a primary account holder and putting himself an authorized user. He charged the card, and now they ask me to pay for his debt. I asked a credit card company how they could open the card without verifying my employment, calling me etc. They said that the information provided matched my credit report or something else. However, when I checked my credit report, my year of birth was wrong and I had to dispute it. Can you tell me what documents, reports credit card companies use to verify the information provided?

1. Each credit card company has its own method of verification. You are entitled to close that card if you are uncomfortable,and to dispute any liability for payment. If in doubt, consult with a consumer debt attorney such as the office of Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, (312) 739-4200. They are the experts in this field.

2. I agree with council. Another recommendation for the Illinois area and ask but that's I know in this field, is Alex Burke

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

Marriage and prenups topics