How does a credit card company verify the information provided on your application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Moline, IL

My ex husband opened a credit card in my name without my authorization or content, making me a primary account holder and putting himself an authorized user. He charged the card, and now they ask me to pay for his debt. I asked a credit card company how they could open the card without verifying my employment, calling me etc. They said that the information provided matched my credit report or something else. However, when I checked my credit report, my year of birth was wrong and I had to dispute it. Can you tell me what documents, reports credit card companies use to verify the information provided?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Each credit card company has its own method of verification. You are entitled to close that card if you are uncomfortable,and to dispute any liability for payment. If in doubt, consult with a consumer debt attorney such as the office of Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, (312) 739-4200. They are the experts in this field.

2. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

1

Answered . I agree with council. Another recommendation for the Illinois area and ask but that's I know in this field, is Alex Burke