How does a contract work if the other party dies and there is no will or directions as to were thing go and to whom?

Asked about 1 year ago - Alamogordo, NM

i have a contract on buying a rv trailer with a ladie an she has pasted away. Does my contract still stand. There was no will or any direction as to where or whom it would go to. A family member from the other party is now trying to repo the trailer even tho i have a contract with the deceased?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . recommend you contact avvo and ask them to remove your email address--this is a public website and you may receive emails from all manner of folks if it remains forever in the public domain.

2. Stephen D Aarons

1

Answered . Without reading the contract, most likely the personal representative must honor your agreement the same as if she were still alive. In a small claims action by him to repossess the RV, if you can show you have honored your part of the contract in every respect, you should win. Keep a paper trail of your end such as payments; I never trust someone trying to break a contract.

3. Charles Adam Shultz

2

Answered . You should contact a probate attorney in the county where the woman died. In California, for example, if your contract were valid and support by consideration, you would be able to enforce it against the estate.

4. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and would suggest you contact a probate attorney as soon as possible. It sounds like you are going to have a contested matter on your hands and your home could literally be at stake.

James Frederick

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now