How does "public domain" work when different laws apply in different countries?

Since different countries have different laws re: public domain, how can one deal with these different laws? What if the situation of a person and the company he works for differ? Say someone lives in Canada but works for an American company. If a literary work is in the public domain in Canada but not in the US, can that person scan that work and post it on his web site? On the company's website? Which country’s laws are applicable? Is it different if the person is a Canadian or US citizen? Is it different again if the website servers are located in Canada, the US or a third country? Is it different if the person is copying a scanned eBook that is on a website in Canada or in the US? Is it different if the company whose eBooks are being copied is a Canadian or American company?

Glendale, AZ -

John E. Whitaker

John E. Whitaker

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Seattle, WA

You're right, we have a global economy now. That said, every country still has a right to its own laws. The good news is there are quite a few treaties in the area of intellectual property law that try to reach commonality on most of the big-picture items. That said, every country has a very slightly different take on what is "public domain" and what is not. For instance, in the U.S. we have First Amendment considerations to deal with that most other countries don't have.

So the direct answer to your question (how do you deal with all the different laws), the answer is to hire lawyers in all the different countries where you expect you might have exposure. There is no other easy answer, in fact there is no easy answer at all.

Good Luck.

Philip Leon Marcus

Philip Leon Marcus

Copyright Infringement Attorney - Beaverton, OR

Counselor Whitaker is correct that a global economy fitted to a world with some 200 sovereign does not fit perfectly. I think the relevant nations are those where the scan is done, and where the website is hosted, although others may differ. The citizenship of the individuals is not so relevant, except to the extent a citizen is practically most amenable to coercion and damage actions where he or she is a citizen.

Some nations do claim extra-territorial effects of their laws, but mostly for piracy (the kind with guns and knives, not scanners and computers) and terrorism.

Erach Farrokh Screwvala

Erach Farrokh Screwvala

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - New York, NY

Courts in the United States apply the law where the infringement occurs. What does this mean? Suppose you publish an album in the United States of recordings that are in the public domain in the United Kingdom, but would be under copyright protection in the United States. In an infringement action brought in a US court, the infringement action would likely be sustained. I've attached a link to an article I wrote about a case with this fact pattern.

Daniel Nathan Ballard

Daniel Nathan Ballard

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Sacramento, CA

If you have a business need for the answers to your various and sundry questions then you need to integrate them into a business scenario and then re-ask them.

If you're simply curious about copyright law for academic reasons then you should read some books about copyright law: http://goo.gl/VspC3

Molly Cristin Hansen

Molly Cristin Hansen

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I'm confused by your fact pattern. Does the person or the company that employs the person have anything to do with the creation of the work that you think has fallen into the public domain?

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Alton, IL

There are several ways to deal with international trademark issues such as public domain vs. infringement, and here are a few:
1. research the differences yourself, for example using INTA resources such as those available at http://www.inta.org/GlobalTrademark/Pages/main..... Cheapest but riskiest
2. hire an attorney in each country, or a multinational firm with offices in the relevant countries such as one list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100_larges... and let them advise. Good but very expensive.
3. hire a trademark attorney in the US and let that attorney coordinate with the various foreign attorneys in the countries of interest, which takes you out of the loop somewhat, but will usually cost less than using an international firm. Good and less expensive.

Where you are just concerned over Canada and the US, the best will be option 3 as your US attorney will know US law and will either know Canadian law on the matter or will know who to contact for Canadian advice. If you are located in Canada, your Canadian trademark attorney will most likely know US law as that is where the bulk of business originates.

Related Advice