How do you sue a landlord for not returning your security deposit if they live in a different state than where the house is?

Asked almost 2 years ago - North Chili, NY

I rented a home in rochester ny from a women who was getting married and moving to charlotte NC. I lived there 10 months and in that time, things were not fixed, and she always had some excuse, someone was coming, and they stiffed her, etc. We finally gave notice and moved out april 23, and told her to use security for last month rent. she took me to town court and i was advised to pay her the rent, and take her to small claims court to get security back if she did not return it in 45 days. I sent her a certified letter after 45 days requesting my deposit back, however she called me and gave me grief stating she wasnt even going to see the home until june 28 to assess the home, i gave the keys to her lawyer, and then called about silly stuff. I told her to put in writing. I got nothing

1. Galen J Criscione

3

Answered . You would sue her in New York, and have the suit served on her in North Carolina by a process server there.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . You can sue in NY because the person is doing business here but you may not be able to sue in small claims court if she does not live or work in the County. You may have to go to District or County Court (whatever they call it in your area). Security deposits are not for rent - they are to secure against damage.

3. Sandra A Joseph

1

Answered . If the property is in New York, the LL would subject to New York courts. What address is on the lease for notices? That's where you server her. Or you could serve her attorney.

4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . sue in the county where the property is located.

BTW, can't use SD for rent--see a lawyer before you take LL to court.