How do you stop three state from collecting child support for the same Kid, who is now and adult of 21 years old?

Sacramento, CA |

No issue with Paying and getting it done with. The issue is that they all keep taking money from my checks and it is quite a bit. I just want it to be from one place and a set amount. What do I do? None of the states are on the same Page it seem no matter how hard I try to let them know they just blame it on their computer systems. States are Michigan, New Jersey and Wisconsin. I am in California.

This is a very interesting issue that I've never heard of before. I assume the child was moved around several times over the past years and the mother registered the support order in each of the states your mentioned above?

Are the states collecting on an arrears? or are all three states collecting the full amount of child support currently due each month? are you essentially paying 3x the child support you are ordered to pay?

I think you should take this to a family attorney with all the documents you currently possess and let them look it over. I think after they get a feel for what is going on they can advise you on what to do next.

I wish you the best of luck!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

You can file a request for an accounting in each of the cases (the 3 different states). [Note: In California, this is done by a "Request for Order" form.] This will tell you if the states are collecting the same support owed or not, and you will have a better understanding of the amount owed (principal arrearage and interest, and what the "current" support is per month). Also in your request you could address all 3 states collections be consolidated so that you report to only one state.

If the custodial parent (recipient of child support) has moved around (possibly causing the 3-state issue), this will also alert the 3 states where the Recipient is currently living for better processing of support.

Definitely, speak with an Attorney as they will be able to advise you. An Attorney will also be able to make contacts with the various state entities and can coordinate your efforts to achieve your goals.

Recommended articles about Family law