How do you stop someone from making repeated false accusations -- civil and criminal?

Asked over 2 years ago - Frederick, MD

My ex spouse continues to make repeated and false CPS allegations and even bogus criminal charges as part of an ugly child custody proceeding. What recourse does one have to stop this? Each and every allegation (some 25 of them) have been dismissed or ruled out. There must be something one can do to stop such malicious intent.

1. Michael Gene DeHaven

1

1

Answered . Believe it or not, it's very hard to make someone stop making false allegations. What county? As for the criminal accusations: Each jurisdiction has a different State's Attorney and therefore the procedures to address your issue varies. The last time I had a similar circumstance I met with a Deputy State's Attorney, who issued a memo to the Chief Commissioner of that County requesting that no charges be placed by the individual against my client until first reviewed by her office. As for the DSS investigation, probably not much can be done. It's been my experience that those offices have less discretion and must, by law, investigate every claim of abuse, no matter how far fetched. However, you should be able to use these false allegations to your advantage in the custody proceeding and may also have civil claims against her (see my profile, under "portfolio cases," (it took 8 days & 5 experts, but "alienation" by false accusation can be proven).

2. Lee Jay Eidelberg

1

Answered . I am uncertain what you mean by a "CPS" allegation (perhaps "CDS - Controlled Dangerous Substance?") but one potential course of action, based on your description, is the initiation of a criminal harassment charge against your ex-spouse. Maryland law does prohibit the malicious engaging in a course of conduct that seriously annoys another when the offender intends such conduct to annoy, alarm or harass the victim after the victim has provided a reasonable warning or request to stop and there is no legal purpose for the conduct in the first instance. One might also consider the possible civil action of abuse of process, which involves the initiation of a civil action without a proper basis. You would be well served to speak with an attorney concerning the particulars of your child custody situation to ensure that whatever course of action considered does not inadvertently compromise your interests in any related proceedings.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Talk with a local attorney about whether you have facts sufficient for having him declared a "vexatious litigant" and barred from filing a legal action without prior permission of the court.