Skip to main content

How do you sign over parental rights in the state of florida?

New Smyrna Beach, FL |

I was separated from my husband and got pregnant from another man. The baby is due in 3 weeks and I am now back with my husband. The biological father wants to sign over the rights completely and join the military asap. My husband want full rights and to be the father of the child. So we all three are in agreeing to the same wants. What is the process that we need to go through to have this done. The biological father wants it done soon so he can go into the military. Does the child have to be born first? Does there have to be a paternity test? Do we have to go to court or are there forms we can sign and notarize? Are there legal fees?

Attorney Answers 1


If you are married then likely your husband will be considered the legal father and not this other man. However, the other man can file a petition to establish his paternity rights and a DNA test may or may not be ordered. There is a consent and waiver a parent can file to agree to a step-parent adoption, but considering your husband is not the step-parent it may be unnecessary. You should consult with an attorney.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics