How do you qualify for chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Asked 4 months ago - New York, NY

I wanna file for chapter 13 but my income is low as 12,000 per Yr,would that be a problem,I do have assets so I don't want to lose that.I rather do chapter 13...what are the requirement for 13.My debt is over 60K ,The assets can extend than 60K but I wanna reply them in long time.
Can you settle for less than what u owe filing for bankruptcy?
are u gonna be able to retain new credit and be good

1. Richard E Weltman

Pro

8

Answered . Chapter 13 bankruptcy requires that you be able to demonstrate your ability to pay all current necessary expenses first. Plan payment is made up of your disposable income. Based on your income you may not qualify for chapter 13. Meet with an experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney. Bring your pay stubs , tax returns and edtimated monthly expenses.

2. Steven Marlow Palmer

7

Answered . Maybe. It depends on whether your budget shows that you can afford a plan payment. To answer your other question, a chapter 13 often provides less than full compensation to creditors. Your attorney would want to look at the assets that you mentioned in your question to see if there was some amount that you had to pay back due to equity in unexempt property.

3. Sandra A Kuhn Esq.

Pro

7

Answered . There are many factors that go into whether to file a Chapter 13 including but not limited to: whether you have any disposable income; whether you have income which exceeds the income allowed to file a Chapter 13 (whether you pass the means test); whether you would have assets that you would otherwise lose in a chapter 7; whether you are trying to do a cram down on a vehicle or an investment property; whether you have a foreclosure and for which you are trying to get caught up on your arrears and whether you have debts that are dischargeable in a 13 but not a 7. You really need to speak with a bankruptcy attorney to help you review your complete financial picture to determine which chapter is the best choice for you.

4. Mark Markus

6

Answered . I agree with the other responses. The fact that you are asking these questions leads me to believe that you haven't even had a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney.

Whether you should file a particular chapter of bankruptcy, or file bankruptcy at all, can only be determined after a comprehensive examination of all relevant factors, including your income, expenses, assets, debts, goals, and other issues.

There are pros and cons to each chapter. You should schedule a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer in your area to explore these further.

5. Derek R. Caldwell

Pro

5

Answered . I will cut to the chase, if your annual income is only $12k or so, you do not have sufficient income to fund a Ch13 plan. You should seriously consider a Ch7 and should consult with a bankruptcy attorney who can review your situation and see if your assets can be protected using the exemptions available under NY exemption statutes.

6. Richard D. Granvold

Pro

Answered . The first question is why not do a chapter 7? MOst chapter 13 cases only pay cents on the dollar to unsecured creditors! Is there a prior ch 7 stopping you? (8 years between filings) ? Or do you have a type of debt NOT discharged in ch 7 but is in a ch 13?

If no reason not to file a ch 7 file it instead. If you cannot, the only real issue is can you afford a ch 13? If you pay $85 a month for 3 years here in my state, that will suffice assuming you don't have priority taxes, past child support, etc. MOst states it is similar as the Bankruptcy Code does NOT state you must pay a certain amount! If you can, increase the number of allowances on your paychecks so you have more money to live on now especially if you receive a tax refund of more than that difference x 12 months so you receive a smaller tax return and more money to live on.