How do you put an end to vexatious litigation?

Asked 10 months ago - Kent, WA

I am a former victim of Domestic Violence. I left my ex husband in 2009 and have been going through continuous vexatious litigation with him since then. Our current family law file has more than 337 entries in it since I filed for divorce. I live in a country outside of the USA and my ex husband lives in Washington State --the state which still has legal jurisdiction over our case. How can I put an end to the vexatious litigation as it is being used as a tool of harassment towards me and it is financially draining me.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert M Lorey

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need an attorney, for several reasons. Your question also has a common -- but incorrect assumption built into it. There are x-number of docket entries or the case has been going on since the 'oughts and that you have been forced to expend significant resources responding to various legal proceedings. Unfortunately, this does vex you, but does not make your soon-to-be ex into a "vexatious litigant."

    First, only an attorney has any reasonable chance of getting the Court to control a vexatious litigant. Second, part of the purpose of an attorney is to run interference for you. Many attorneys offer free or low-cost initial consultations and this consultation may provide you with sufficient information to decide how to proceed,

    Good luck!

  2. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You nee to file a motion limited the number o bearing he can note. There is a doctrine known as res judicata, which means the matter has already been decided. You will need to hire counsel in Wa. to act as your voice,

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,645 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,645 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary