How do you prove the income of a self-employed ex?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Olympia, WA

My ex is self-employed. The amount stated for income in our divorce papers is extremely low for their flourishing business and does not even seem to be enough to live on. I believe that they are misrepresenting their income to keep support what it is. Their are too many indiscrepencies between the stated income and their expensive lifestyle while I can barely make ends meet with basic bills. 1) How can I determine their real income? 2) What can I do to have support reset if I cannot prove their income or afford to go back to court?

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . It can be difficult and frustrating to try to prove actual income for the self-employed. Attorneys have legal tools that can be helpful, but are also expensive: Depositions, records depositions, interrogatories, requests for production, subpoenas, and requests for production are tools of the trade. You could ask an experienced family law attorney to do a brief consultation with you to review your pleadings and records, and explain your options. If you can't afford this kind of legal action, sometimes clients are able to enlist the assistance of the state Division of Child Support to help.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature, may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question, and may be different in the State where the facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney.