How do you properly serve the United States Postal Service with a subpoena duces tecum in a civil case?

Phoenix, AZ |

Tried serving a local US post office with a subpoena duces tecum for documents/records only, but my process server was turned away. The employee at the office said that the subpoena could not be accepted locally. Is there a better way to serve the US Postal Service that I'm unaware of? Any info would be much appreciated it.

You must start at the TOP.

You SERVE the POSTMASTER GENERAL in Washington, DC
---AND---you must also serve the ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE
UNITED STATES in Washington, DC as you're SUING a FEDERAL
AGENCY.

Send them CERTIFIED . . . DON'T FEDEX OR UPS them.

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

Would this be true even if I'm not actually suing them? For example, I'm suing a non-governmental landlord, but I need delivery records made to the landlord from the postal service. In this instance, I still serve both the Postmaster general in Washington DC and the Attorney General of the United States in DC? Thanks for your help.

James M. Osak

James M. Osak

If you're dealing with ANY governmental entity . . . you serve the TOP OFFICER AND the United States ATTORNEY GENERAL.

Thank you!