How do you place a lien on a property?

I own an organizing business, one of our clients did not pay us for the work done at their home which was 2 years ago. We have sent many notices and phone calls. They are now selling their home. What would be the process of placing a lien on their property so that we can get paid? What forms are involved? If I use a lawyer do they have to be licensed in my state or can they be from out of state? The total owed to my company is over $4000.

Fairfield, CT -

Attorney Answers (2)

Francis G Pennarola

Francis G Pennarola

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Danbury, CT

It is likely that the only way you can file a lien (before you have a judgment) is with an attachment, a prejudgment remedy that will require a court hearing and several weeks to get set up. It is also likely cost prohibitive as the company will neeed a lawyer admitted in Connecticut to handle the matter.

the limit for small claims court is $5000 and the comapny is allowed to represent itself. Tht will likely take several months before you could get a judgment. Once you had a judgment, you could file a judgment lien. Good luck

George O. Tamblyn

George O. Tamblyn

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Mercer Island, WA

It is probably too late to get a statutory lien for the work performed on the property. Next time take action and see a lawyer sooner. Find out the small claims limit in your jurisdcition and consider that option. You should consult with an attorney in your area specializing in this type of matter; it is important to disclose all the facts and to explore your options. Be prepared to pay a consultation fee and know what it will be in advance.

Related Topics


A lien gives a creditor certain rights to a debtor's property in order to ensure payment of a debt. Liens can be either voluntary or involuntary.

Featured Legal Guides

Howard Robert Roitman

Medicare Liens

by attorney

Federal law generally prohibits Medicare from paying for any item or service where payment can reasonably be expected from another "primary" source... more

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.