How do you legitimize a child in Texas

Asked about 3 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

I'm just trying to figure what steps are taken for a father to legitimize a child in the state of Texas, and if the child isn't legitimized, does the father have any legal rights to that child?

1. Kimberly Nicole Shanklin

Answered . I'm not really sure what you are asking? Were you married to the baby's father at the time the baby was born? If so, he will be the presumed father. Is the fighting paternity? You can do a paternity test to establish that. Either one of you can obtain an attorney to fight for custody of the child but if paternity is at issue I suggest you hire an attorney to help you with that. Good luck!

2. Dana Joseph Stewart

Answered . Expanding off the previous answer, keep in mind that until paternity is established, the father has no real rights and duties under the law. Therefore, the father doesn't have set times of possession and access, but he also doesn't have a obligation to pay child support. It's hard to discern the exact route you should take without knowing more details. Talk to an attorney about this to ensure your rights, and the child's rights, are protected. Best of luck.

3. Christopher Jay Harding

Answered . You must mean prove you are the father.... you need to file a paternity suit to prove you are the father and then request visitation. Be prepared to get hit with child support.