How do you legally attach a house you did work on and they have not paid you for the services you rendered

Tiffin, OH |
Filed under: Business

did some contracting work on a house for a person and they gave me and advance but not full payment for thr bill i sent to them and i need to get paid

1. Check your state's laws about filing a mechanic's lien. In CA, there's very strict statutory notice required, and these liens aren't self=executing, meaning you still need to file a lawsuit to collect.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. File a mechanic's lien at your local county recorder's office.

Another option would be to contact an attorney and have the attorney send a formal payment demand.

Finally, if the amount to be paid for your services was less than $3,000, you can file against the person in your local small claims court.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.

3. Mr. Sauter offers excellent, concise advice. After you have filed your lien, it may be useful to pay an attorney to send a collection letter and see if it prompts the person to pay. Good luck.

Business topics