How do you legally attach a house you did work on and they have not paid you for the services you rendered

Asked about 2 years ago - Tiffin, OH

did some contracting work on a house for a person and they gave me and advance but not full payment for thr bill i sent to them and i need to get paid

1. John Robert Sauter

2

Answered . File a mechanic's lien at your local county recorder's office.

Another option would be to contact an attorney and have the attorney send a formal payment demand.

Finally, if the amount to be paid for your services was less than $3,000, you can file against the person in your local small claims court.

2. Charles Lawrence Huddleston III

Pro

Answered . Mr. Sauter offers excellent, concise advice. After you have filed your lien, it may be useful to pay an attorney to send a collection letter and see if it prompts the person to pay. Good luck.

3. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Check your state's laws about filing a mechanic's lien. In CA, there's very strict statutory notice required, and these liens aren't self=executing, meaning you still need to file a lawsuit to collect.