How do you legally attach a house you did work on and they have not paid you for the services you rendered

Asked about 2 years ago - Tiffin, OH

did some contracting work on a house for a person and they gave me and advance but not full payment for thr bill i sent to them and i need to get paid

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Robert Sauter

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File a mechanic's lien at your local county recorder's office.

    Another option would be to contact an attorney and have the attorney send a formal payment demand.

    Finally, if the amount to be paid for your services was less than $3,000, you can file against the person in your local small claims court.

    Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this... more
  2. Charles Lawrence Huddleston III


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Mr. Sauter offers excellent, concise advice. After you have filed your lien, it may be useful to pay an attorney to send a collection letter and see if it prompts the person to pay. Good luck.

  3. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Check your state's laws about filing a mechanic's lien. In CA, there's very strict statutory notice required, and these liens aren't self=executing, meaning you still need to file a lawsuit to collect.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,858 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,858 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering