How do you know what county to file for divorce in, if you are incarcerated? Do they do summary divorces in PA?

Asked over 4 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

My friend is wanting to file for a no fault divorce but is in centre county and last lived in philadelphia, county. Can he file where the jail is? He hasn't had contact with his ex in 4 years, and they were only married a few months. There are no assets or children etc. Thanks

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Steven Alan Fink

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As long as he has been in the same jail for at least 6 months he can file where the jail is.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,550 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,550 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering