How do you know if you're eligible for disability due to a car accident?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

finances are running low. Already know about No-Fault Reimbursement.

Attorney answers (7)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you contact a personal injury lawyer as well as a disability lawyer. Do not delay.

  2. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have short or long term disability policy, you should review the terms of the policy and eligibility requirements/criteria and contact your carrier/broker to see if you are eligible. If you are referring to Social Security Disability (SSD), disability is determined based on your inability to work. You need to be able to demonstrate that (1) you cannot perform the work that you did before you were injured; (2) you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition; and (3) your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year, or to result in death. There is a process that Social Security uses to determine if you are disabled and it would be wise to consult with a lawyer who regularly handles SSD cases.

    The information provided herein is for information purposes only and is based on the limited information provided.... more
  3. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to your doctor.

    opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo... more
  4. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact a local attorney to discuss your options. You may be entitled to Social Security Disability

    Ken Litman, Esq.

  5. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the disability agency and ask them to set forth the standards for determining your eligibility.

  6. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Check out your states disability website. Should have the eligibility requirements posted.

    -Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.... more
  7. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the responding attorneys. You should to contact an experienced attorney to review your situation and advise you accordingly. I hope you found my answer helpful.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,527 answers this week

3,889 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,527 answers this week

3,889 attorneys answering