How do you know if you're eligible for disability due to a car accident?

New York, NY |

finances are running low. Already know about No-Fault Reimbursement.

1. Contact the disability agency and ask them to set forth the standards for determining your eligibility.

2. Check out your states disability website. Should have the eligibility requirements posted.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

3. I suggest you contact a personal injury lawyer as well as a disability lawyer. Do not delay.

4. If you have short or long term disability policy, you should review the terms of the policy and eligibility requirements/criteria and contact your carrier/broker to see if you are eligible. If you are referring to Social Security Disability (SSD), disability is determined based on your inability to work. You need to be able to demonstrate that (1) you cannot perform the work that you did before you were injured; (2) you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition; and (3) your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year, or to result in death. There is a process that Social Security uses to determine if you are disabled and it would be wise to consult with a lawyer who regularly handles SSD cases.

The information provided herein is for information purposes only and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists.

5. Talk to your doctor.

opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice

6. Contact a local attorney to discuss your options. You may be entitled to Social Security Disability

Ken Litman, Esq.
    516.359.6333

THANK YOU KEN LITMAN, ESQ. 64 SHORT WAY ROSLYN HEIGHTS, NY 11577 DIRECT # 516 359-6333 KENLITMAN@AOL.COM FAX # 516 908-4194

7. I agree with the responding attorneys. You should to contact an experienced attorney to review your situation and advise you accordingly. I hope you found my answer helpful.