How do you go about having a house condemned in Hillsborough County?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tampa, FL

My 83 year old father in law owns a piece of property on a main highway where he lived for 35+ years.

He no longer lives there (moved 4 years ago to a nicer home 20 miles away) as it was not a safe living environment.

Roof leaks and ceiling is caving-in in spots.
Dry wall collapsing
Electrical wiring is 50 years old and never been updated.
Electrical outlets (majority) don't work.
Water does not run to the toilette
Floor rotted through (house is on blocks)
Lightning strike damage - never been repaired.

He won't sell the property as he thinks he could live there again someday if he had to (he won't have to).

How do we go about having this condemned?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Contact the Hillsborough County Code Enforcement Office. (813) 274-6600

    You can file a complaint online here:

    I would call them to see what is the best way to go.

    Good luck!

    Zonald Spinks, Esq. Phone: (813) 413-5352 Fax: (813) 658-5893 Twitter: @ZonaldLaw Skype: Zonaldlaw... more

Related Topics

Condemned house

A condemned house is one that does not meet building codes, and is in such poor shape that nobody can legally live in it unless and until it is repaired.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,004 answers this week

3,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,004 answers this week

3,782 attorneys answering