How do you go about getting a court ordered DNA test for a child if the father is unwilling to participate ?

Ellenwood, GA |

also how long would be a good time to wait after the baby is born ?

You can file a petition to establish the paternity of your child before the birth of the child, but all proceedings will be stayed until after the birth except for service of process, discovery, and the taking of depositions. You may make a motion for the court to order the mother, the alleged father, and the child or children to submit to genetic tests, but the motion must be supported by a sworn statement alleging paternity and setting forth facts establishing a reasonable possibility of the requisite sexual contact between the mother and putative father. The court must grant the motion unless it finds good cause as defined by the federal Social Security Act or if other good excuse for noncooperation is demonstrated.

As for how soon a DNA test can be performed, my understanding (but I'm not a doctor so check with your OBGYN) is that testing can be done on newborn infants using umbilical cord blood in the delivery room – and cheek (buccal) swabs can be collected right after the delivery.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as nor does it constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this answer in prosecuting or defending against any criminal or civil legal action. Speak to an attorney in your area about how to protect yourself and your interests.

Testing is possible right after birth.

If your funds are limited, you can file a child support case with the state child support unit and they'll arrange testing. Or 30 days after birth you could swear out a criminal abandonment warrant for non-support, and testing also will get ordered.

You can also, if you can afford it, hire counsel and sue for support. Again, the court can order tests.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

To get a court-ordered DNA test you can file a Superior Court Paternity action or initiate a Child Support action. In either case, you can obtain determination as to paternity, and child support if it is proven that he is the father.

There is no reason to wait. Once you're medically allowed to take the child out in public, you should proceed with verifying your child's paternity.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support