How do you give back guardianship to the birth mother/grandparents? Is this a court process like obtaining guardianship?

Tucson, AZ |

My husband and I obtained guardianship of my sisters child. My sister is mentally ill but doing well at this time and lives with our parents. Our parents would need to be able to step in and take care of my niece if my sister relapses. How do I go about getting my niece back into her mothers along with the grandparents care?
Thanks much

You don't mention how you came to have guardianship. Was this a court-ordered guardianship, or was is informal? If there is a court order, then the mother will have to petition for the restoration of the child to her. Regardless, the parents will have to petition if they want any say over the issue.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

My husband and I got the paperwork on our own, went to court, and were placed as guardians-my sister and the father of the child were sent the court guardianship documents. How does my sister go about getting the paperwork for the petition? Will my sister and the grandparents be able to jointly act as guardians? Thank you so much for the information

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody