How do you give back guardianship to the birth mother/grandparents? Is this a court process like obtaining guardianship?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

My husband and I obtained guardianship of my sisters child. My sister is mentally ill but doing well at this time and lives with our parents. Our parents would need to be able to step in and take care of my niece if my sister relapses. How do I go about getting my niece back into her mothers along with the grandparents care?
Thanks much

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael J Corbin

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You don't mention how you came to have guardianship. Was this a court-ordered guardianship, or was is informal? If there is a court order, then the mother will have to petition for the restoration of the child to her. Regardless, the parents will have to petition if they want any say over the issue.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,531 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,531 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering