How do you get a prenuptial agreement done when getting married in the Dominican republic to a Dominican woman?

Asked about 2 years ago - El Paso, TX

I'm thinking about marrying my girlfriend. We have a 2 year old child. Shes from the Dominican republic and I'm a US citizen. If we get married, I want a prenuptial agreement. We are going to get married in the Dominican republic. How do we make the prenuptial agreement legal in the US? Do we have to go to the US embassy before we get married?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not an immigration question.

    You should contact a family lawyer who is also familiar with the Dominican requirements.

  2. Jonathan Scott Greene


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is no question that your girlfriend needs to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about the best process for getting married, obtaining permanent residence and her ability to travel in and out of the United States. That same immigration attorney ought to have some familiarity with family law in your state because you will each need to obtain a separate family law attorney if the two of you want a premarital agreement and the immigration attorney will have to make sure that the agreement comports with aspects of immigration law, such as financial sponsorship liability.

    The answer provided does not create an attorney-client relationship and is only based on the information submitted... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Not an immigration question.

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more
  4. Young Ah Ri


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . This is not an immigration question.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,990 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,990 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering