How do you get a prenuptial agreement done when getting married in the Dominican republic to a Dominican woman?

Asked almost 2 years ago - El Paso, TX

I'm thinking about marrying my girlfriend. We have a 2 year old child. Shes from the Dominican republic and I'm a US citizen. If we get married, I want a prenuptial agreement. We are going to get married in the Dominican republic. How do we make the prenuptial agreement legal in the US? Do we have to go to the US embassy before we get married?

1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

2

Answered . This is not an immigration question.

You should contact a family lawyer who is also familiar with the Dominican requirements.

2. Jonathan Scott Greene

Pro

1

Answered . There is no question that your girlfriend needs to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about the best process for getting married, obtaining permanent residence and her ability to travel in and out of the United States. That same immigration attorney ought to have some familiarity with family law in your state because you will each need to obtain a separate family law attorney if the two of you want a premarital agreement and the immigration attorney will have to make sure that the agreement comports with aspects of immigration law, such as financial sponsorship liability.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Not an immigration question.

4. Young Ah Ri

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now