How do you get a mental health evaluation on a parent and/or a family court evaluation?

Asked over 3 years ago - Vancouver, WA

Divorced since 2006. Ex assaulted me less than two months after divorce in front of our children. Ex arrested/plead to Disorderly Conduct DV. Have had NCO and/or DVPO in place since then.

There has been nothing but conflict since then. Ex refuses to discuss anything of concern regarding our children. Ex's only focus is his issues. He has called police on me for sending him bills related to our children's medical costs, or trying to present issues regarding our children.

He has refused to pay any child support not taken directly from his check, i.e. extra expenses included in order of support. He makes the children strip out of the clothes I have bought them and wear only his clothes when with him even if only for a three hour weekday visit.

He signs children up for activities involving my time with them and does not tell me. Children miss half the sporting events as I am unaware of them. He and his family members demean me to children. He refuses to allow them to contact me when with him though I follow our parenting plan and provide a cell phone for them to do so at my expense.

He has now threatened their counselor with complaint against her license if she continues to see our children.

I have had enough. It costs a fortune to deal with these issues one at a time, and after five years of it I feel it will never stop as the underlying issue is his mental health I believe.

I wish to have both of us evaluated and an unbiased opinion on the issues so they can finally be put to rest. Is this enough to get it done?

P.S. There is more than above, but space too limited to get it all out.

1. Mark L. Alexander

Best Answer

Answered . There are no guaranteed results in family law, especially if you are seeking a parenting plan modification, which are disfavored. However, the conduct you report sounds serious enough to consider seeking only supervised residential time for the father, and sole decision-making for you.

If you choose to litigate, I believe that seeking a parenting evaluation, a DV evaluation, or appointment of a guardian ad litem in a temporary order may be looked on favorably by the court. Any of them would inject a neutral, independent third party to help the court weigh the parties' conflicting tales.

2. Yevgeny Jack Berner

Pro

1

Answered . I recommend you confer with an experienced family law attorney in your area regarding your next move. The way I see it, it's either dispute resolution as provided in your parenting plan, modification, and/or contempt. I'd have to see your actual Final Orders to determine the best course of action.

Jack Berner