How do you find out the qualifications and experience of an attorney?

Long Prairie, MN |

I would like to find the website in which I can research the work history (Cases) won or lost, the School they graduated from and complaints if any about an attorney.

1. Selecting the right lawyer isn't easy, especially because when you need a lawyer you are probably in a crisis. Most lawyers are happy to report cases they have won on Avvo or their own websites, likewise their legal education. Cases they have lost, not so much. Complaints against attorneys are not public- only certain disciplinary actions such as public censure or suspension. In my personal opinion, the most important characteristics of a good lawyer are courage, integrity, and good communications skills. At the end of the day, you have to use your good sense in selecting a lawyer just as you would a contractor.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

2. You also could check the state bar website to see how long they have been practicing and if they have a disciplinary record. You can ask the lawyer to provide you with referrals.