How do you find out if there is a warrant out for someone's arrest?

Asked over 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I know the suspected county where the offense occured and think this person has a warrant out. How can I find out?

1. Corinne Jane Magee

Answered . Assuming that you have an idea of the jurisdiction, the only way you find out if there is a warrant for your arrest is to call the warrant desk at the police department or sheriff's office (in counties that don't have police departments) for that jurisdiction. For instance, for the City of Richmond, you could call the main non-emergency number, (804)646-5100, and ask for the warrant desk. Usually, the individual will only tell you whether or not there is a warrant outstanding, and where you need to go to have it served. Often he/she will not tell you whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony, because they know if it is a more serious charge, it is less likely that you will turn yourself in. If you have a warrant outstanding, I would strongly urge you to consult with a local attorney before turning yourself in.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . May depend n the policy of the sheriff, but you might call the warrants section -some SOs want you to come in, so they can arrest you. You might also try calling the court clerk in the "suspected county".