Skip to main content

How do you find out if someone has homeowner's insurance when your child was hurt in their home & you dont know them?

Drums, PA |

My child(age 17) was badly hurt at someone's home when a glass door broke on his hands when he went to open it. He needs surgery, has nerve damage & his hand will never be the same. Do not know parents/adults at this home & no one has contacted me in the week since the accident.Guess they ignored the blood & broken door. Their phone is disconected. Dont want to go thru the kid as we are afraid of retaliation at school. My Dr said it will be reported to my insurance as an accident & we need to find out if they have homeowner's insurance.We have had several co-pays, prescriptions & had to see a specialist 1hour away from home-gas is lost wages from missing work. How can we get this resolved & should we get a lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I'm sorry to hear about your son's injuries. If you haven't already spoken with an attorney, I'd recommend doing it soon. Having someone on your side who has experience working with insurance companies can be invaluable. Look for a personal injury attorney and ask for an intial consultation. Most attorneys will do this part for free. It's a good way to get your questions answered and learn what your next steps should be. You can't really count on the homeowners or their insurance company to take the intiative. If you need help getting started, feel free to call. I'm licensed in Illinois, but I can recommend an experienced injury attorney in your area. 1-800-807-9530. Good luck.


I am not licensed in Pennsylvania.
Your comments re an apparent lack of concernm by the family and the telephone problem raise severe concerns about getting compensation, at any level, for your son. See an attorney immediately.


I am a PA attorney and agree with both of the previous posts. You should contact an attorney immediately, but their may be conerns about what can be recovered. Your attorney should be able to give you further insite on this and as mentioned before, most personal injury attorney's do not charge for an initial consultation and there is typically no fee unless there is a recovery. Good luck.

Justin C. Gearty, Jr.

DISLAIMER: This post is for educational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You should retain an attorney, such as myself, who will put the parents on notice of your claim and request that they forward the letter to their insurance carrier. If they still do not cooperate, there are resources I use to determine whether they have homeowners insurance and what their policy limits are. Please contact me to discuss.


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately for your son and follow your doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to your medical records. Photograph your injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. Your attorney will know how to track down homeowners insurance. If necessary, the bank which holds the mortgage on the property can tell you the name of the insurance carrier, as they require the house to be insured as a condition of the mortgage in all likelihood. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer :

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer