How do you establish that a petitioner is domiciled in the usa? Is an intention to domicile adequate? HOW would we prove that?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bend, OR

Peitioner has not lived in the usa for 5 years because he had to move away to be with me.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Oregon ID/DL ... apartment lease, or property ownership ... firm employment ... are just a few ways to show the re-establishment of domicile.

    Talk to an attorney in private to explore other types of evidence.

    Consultations by Skype are available ... so you need not travel to 'meet' with an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201; elliot@... more
  3. Brandon S. Gillin


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So you want to prove that the petitioner is domiciled in the U.S., when the petitioner is actually not domiciled in the U.S.? That is not something I would recommend because it sounds like you want to prove something that is not true. Be careful of what you present to USCIS in this regard; fraud can have future prejudicial repercussions for you and the petitioner. You and the petitioner should talk to a U.S. immigration lawyer to explore your options.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering